As an integral part of the interdisciplinary team, the Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process to provide therapeutic care to patients. The Registered Nurse is accountable for the coordination of patient care and education to the patient and family in accordance with the standards, policies, and practices in a compassionate, supportive, and therapeutic environment.
- The clinical practice of a Registered Nurse (RN) is to manage a complex process that requires an orderly method and adherence to scientific practice standards. The RN manages the physiological and behavioral functioning combined with psychological and social support as related to the recovery process. The priority of the professional activity is toward the improvement and/or maintenance of this state. The RN classifies the patient's condition based on physiological, psychological, and social risk morbidity and mortality to predict the amount of work required based on the application of the steps of the professional process. The professional process is composed of six core steps (data collection, data assessment and nursing diagnosis, plan, implementation, evaluation, and patient teaching) used to manage the patient condition for the purpose of the treatment of human responses to actual or potential health problems, with the characteristics of altered functional ability and altered lifestyle, reducing risk of morbidity and mortality, and increasing the opportunity for recovery. The RN demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served on his/her assigned unit. The professional RN practices according to USCUH collaboration principles and demonstrates respectful teamwork and delegation.
- Supports continuous and ongoing customer satisfaction through the hospital wide service excellence standards.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Coordinator or Department Director for Cardiac Cath Lab procedure room flow issues.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Coordinator for inventory control.
- Completes initial and annual skills validations.
- Functions as a patient advocate.
- Assesses a patient's knowledge base/understanding of their diagnostic and/or interventional procedure.
- Plans, with the patient, the course of their testing/treatment in coordination with physician.
- Assists with the performance of cardiac diagnostic, interventional and electrophysicolgy procedures in the Cardiac Cath Lab.
- Assists with the performance of cardiac diagnostic tests in the Cath Lab Holding room when necessary.
- Provides for continuous evaluation of patient care through the nursing process and patient satisfaction evaluation form.
- Educates patient/patient's family about procedure and treatment according to each patient's individual needs and documents results.
- Documents accurately, on chart, procedures performed and patient's tolerance.
- Provides for own professional growth regarding trends in clinical nursing, equipment and procedures through formal and informal continuing education.
- Orients and instructs other unit personnel.
- Demonstrates ability to positively influence other's behavior by serving as a role model.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Req Bachelor's degree Nursing Degree in Nursing (BSN) *Grandfathered from BSN if hired prior to 12/2019
- Req Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to speak, read and write English proficiently.
- Req Knowledge of medical procedures and conditions and ability to understand, follow and successfully perform duties, including whole blood collection, and apheresis procedures, in accordance with administrative and clinical policies, regulations and procedures.
- Req Committed to excellence in patient care and customer service.
- Req Demonstrates ability to work independently with minimal direction and supervision.
- Pref 2 years Two years experience in a cardiovascular lab setting immediately prior to application, experience with electrophysiology procedures is preferred.
- Pref 2 years Two years experience in Coronary or Surgical Intensive Care setting immediately prior to application preferred.
- Req Registered Nurse - RN (CA Board of Registered Nursing)
- Req Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
- Req Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Healthcare Provider from American Heart Association
The hourly rate range for this position is $41.00 - $88.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate's work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.