Receive and manage all incoming inquiries from any customer; patient, insurance company, USC employee as walk-ins or via telephone or written correspondence. Documents all activity in the facility's patient accounting system. Requirements will include being well versed in insurance products, medical group risks, and all governmental programs and benefits structures. Must be knowledgeable of the Financial Assistance Programs and all screening requirements. Contacts and work collaboratively with the financially responsible party with regards to patient liability. Partner to evaluate the ability to meet their obligation and collect monies due to the organization. Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must deliver compassion and respect at all encounters while assisting patients and callers with billing questions and insurance coverage determination on the phone, via email or in person.
- Apply excellent communication and teamwork skills to maintain successful working relationships with team members and various groups throughout the organization. Listen effectively. Build appropriate rapport. Use diplomacy and tact.
- Document all calls, actions in follow-up system. Confirm/update guarantor, insurance and demographics. Demonstrate ingenuity, self-reliance and resourcefulness. Able to take needed action without direct instructions.
- Demonstrates ability to deescalate matters - in person or over the phone - providing customers with options to problem solve. Ensure to follow-up timely and embody the USC spirit in all transactions.
- Partner with patients on Financial assistance and any and all governmental or private payer systems. Establish payment arrangements and settlements within hospital polices. Manage individual scope of work including assigned tasks and activities in a timely manner and within budget.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and, when appropriate, develop and implement effective solutions.
- Provide quality service and support to patients and/or client groups. Demonstrate a positive image and perform responsibilities in a professional manner. Ensure that all information and services provided are accurate; meet the customer's needs, in a timely manner.
- Req High school or equivalent
- Req 2 years Two years of experience in a high volume organization with strong customer service background required, hospital or health care setting preferred .
- Req Knowledge of collection techniques.
- Req Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Req Excellent customer service skills and telephone etiquette.
- Req Problem solving skills essential.
- Req Insurance knowledge and communication with payers.
- Req Ability to think independently and use good judgment for situations which require initiative and innovation.
- Req Knowledge of basic office equipment.
- Req Ability to establish work priorities and prioritize needs to meet required timelines.
- Req Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Req 10 Key by touch and ability to type 45 wpm.
- Req Basic math calculation skills.
- Pref Computer literacy, including proficiency in MS Word, Excel and some knowledge of Access (preferred).
- Pref Understanding of hospital reimbursement methodologies, including DRGs, APGs and standard payment methodology:
- Pref Knowledge of ICD-9, CPT-4 and HCPC's coding systems
- Pref Working knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and all other third party payment methods:
- Pref Understanding of contract payer policies and procedures
- Pref Ability to interpret Managed Care Contracts
- Pref Bilingual English/Spanish
- Req Fire Life Safety Training (LA City) If no card upon hire, one must be obtained within 30 days of hire and maintained by renewal before expiration date. (Required within LA City only)
The hourly rate range for this position is $22.00 - $34.18. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate's work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state, and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.