The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is part of the vibrant Los Angeles economy and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university. The University of Southern California/Information Sciences Institute (part of the Viterbi School of Engineering) is one of the nation's largest, most successful university-affiliated computer research institutes. Our work ranges from theoretical basic research, such as core engineering and computer science discovery, to applied research and development, such as design and modeling of innovative prototypes and devices.
This position is located at USC's research facility, ISI - Information Sciences Institute, in Marina del Rey, CA. It is in beautiful, sunny Marina Del Rey, California. Our offices overlook the ocean and are just minutes from the beach. This is a full-time opportunity with a flexible, hybrid in-office schedule.
ISI is seeking an experienced Senior Linux System Administrator to support core institute infrastructure and services. You will have the opportunity to work with other highly skilled technology experts on complex systems and interesting technical challenges.
- Manage, support, and upgrade (software and hardware) the ISI infrastructure systems and services.
- Proactively identify and resolve system reliability and performance concerns including network or applications related issues.
- Provide analytical and technical expertise on system integration, installation, replacement and upgrades of servers and operating systems.
- Develop and maintain appropriate system documentation. Formulate standards for system management.
- Participate in the "on call" rotation acting as the first responder for the team to emergency after hours calls on critical systems.
Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 5 years professional systems administration experience in Linux with strong technical knowledge of and experience with systems administration, backups, operating systems programming/scripting languages and associated hardware platforms. Possesses the required knowledge to build, configure, load, and restore a system from the ground up.
- Applicant selected for this position will have access to sensitive information. Based on sponsor requirements, only U.S. citizens are eligible for the access.
- VMware virtualization platform management
- Proficiency in Ansible and GitLab and creating clean, reliable, testable, documented code
- Strong Linux (RHEL, CentOS and/or Ubuntu) skills, command line interfaces, shell scripting, and system administration
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot, resolve problems, and manage system performance.
- Deploying and supporting common open-source software packages
- NAS, DAS, SAN setup and Backup Storage management
- Rack/Stack, configure, maintain physical hardware equipment
- Knowledge in HPC cluster and scheduler planning, design, and implementation considerations, Proficiency in establishing processes for maintaining system performance and managing best-in-class standards.
- Security hardening and patching of information systems including clear documentation and creating audit reports
- Knowledge of HPC cluster and scheduler planning, design, and implementation, involving both CPU and GPU resources.
- Ability to drive technical leadership and management of complex large-scale computing system projects. Troubleshooting complex Issues in heterogenous environments
- Multi-vendor management, security, and network/Internet protocols
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Container technologies (Docker, Singularity).
- Understanding of container orchestration (Kubernetes, Docker)
- Demonstrated expertise in HPC cluster and scheduler planning, design, and implementation, involving both CPU and GPU resources.
- Knowledge of Windows Active Directory and Group Policy configuration
Strong candidates will be self-motivated and ready to engage in lively technical give-and-take.
The University of Southern California values diversity, and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 5 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Expert understanding and strong technical knowledge of and experience with systems administration, backups, operating systems programming languages and associated hardware platforms. Possesses the required knowledge to build, configure, load and restore a system from the ground up. Previous systems administration experience required.